- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 pound peeled, large raw shrimp (1 6/20 count)
- 1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until flour is chocolate colored. (Do not burn mixture.)
- 2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth; add chicken and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Note: We tested with Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning and Savoie’s Andouille Sausage.
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh black-eyed or pink-eyed peas, shelled (3 cups)*
- 3 cups water
- 2 large beef bouillon cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package kielbasa, sliced, browned, and drained (optional)
- Bring first 4 ingredients and, if desired, sausage to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat; simmer 40 minutes or until tender. Serve with Sweet Onion Relish.
- *1 (16-ounce) package frozen black-eyed peas may be substituted. Reduce cooking time to 30 minutes or until tender.
Sweet Onion Relish
- 2 medium sized yellow onions
- 2 tbsp. red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 oz. Olive oil
- Mix all ingredients and let marinate for at least 2 hours
Southern Style Greens
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon slices, finely chopped
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound smoked ham, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 (32-oz.) containers chicken broth
- 3 (1-lb.) packages fresh collard greens, washed and trimmed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a 10-qt. stockpot over medium heat 10 to 12 minutes or until almost crisp.
- Add onion, and sauté 8 minutes.
- Add ham and garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and remaining ingredients.
- Cook 2 hours or to desired degree of tenderness.
Skillet Corn Bread
- 2 to 3 teaspoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.